So you want to lose 10 pounds. Or learn how to meal prep. Or train for a race/fitness competition/powerlifting competition/bikini show. Or gain muscle. But you have no idea where or how to start. Maybe you’ve thought about working with a trainer or coach but something is stopping you.
I’ll let you in on a little secret.
I have a coach. Yup, even fitness professionals have coaches! I will be the first to admit, I would be completely lost without mine. I work with my coach mostly online, but we do meet occasionally in person and he’s always happy to help me at my competitions. I coach online through Level Nutrition , or if you happen to work for State Street Bank in the Channel Center Building, I work there as a personal trainer!
There are so many reasons to hire someone if you truly need help. Here are five big ones that I’ve learned either personally, or by working with my clients.
1. Programming: Have you ever gone to the gym with no plan, and then ended up walking around for an hour trying to figure out what to do next? That used to happen to me all. the. time. I’d go in knowing what my main lift would be for the day, and then have no idea what else to do. A good coach will give you specific work outs for each day so you know exactly what exercise is coming next and how many sets and reps you’ll be doing. This is how I program, and it’s also how my coach programs for me.
2. Accountability: This is a big one. I have to report to my coach after every workout. We probably send hundreds of emails a month back and forth. If I didn’t have someone that was constantly checking in with me, I wouldn’t go to the gym. Simple as that. And I have coached plenty of people who have this same mindset. One of my current clients doesn’t go to the gym unless she has an appointment with me-so I see her 3x a week. If you’re the type of person that needs to be held accountable, find a coach that you know you wouldn’t want to disappoint.
3. Individualization: Your coach will know everything about you. And a good coach WANTS to know everything about you. Mine knows my health history, my injury history, when I’m on my cycle, my goals, and that I hate front squats. This makes it easier for him to write me a program based on my individual needs. Cookie cutter workouts will not work long term! Whenever I start with a new client, we discuss goals, history, likes, dislikes, etc. None of my programs are ever the same-because no two clients are the same!
4. Safety: There are a ton of ways to do exercises wrong, and a lot of times you can end up seriously hurting yourself. A coach will teach you the proper form and execution of each exercise they give you, and will have eyes on you at all times. This is a little harder to do with an online coach, but luckily there are ways to do it! I film most of my workouts to send to my coach and he critiques the videos. When I send a new program to a client, I have them give me a list of questions and I will provide them with video tutorials. Often I’ll have them send me videos of them doing various exercises before I even give them a program to see if anything major needs to be fixed or worked on.
5. Motivation: Last, but not least, your coach will be your biggest motivator. They’ll be cheering you on throughout your entire time working together. Clients often tell me that they didn’t think they could do something until I was next to them saying “you’ve got this! You can do it!”. And you know what? They always do it. A little motivation goes a long way! Even though I can’t be with my coach in person all the time, I always imagine that he’s with me (is that weird? Sorry J…) I imagine he’s there pushing me and cheering me on. And he DOES motivate me SO much through email…you’d be surprised how much!
If you’re thinking about working with a coach, I highly recommend it. You’ll reach your goals faster, get more out of your workouts, and feel great about yourself! And not to mention, you’ll make your coach so extremely proud of you!
**If you’re interested in nutrition and fitness coaching, shoot me an email or comment with your email!! I’m currently taking on new clients!**